Principles of selection
Our purpose: “To sustain a high standard of cricket in a joyful, inclusive environment”
We enjoy the experience on and off the pitch, creating moments of great excitement while playing our cricket with good humour.
We cultivate friendships with our teammates, supporting them when times are tough and are proud to belong to a team bigger than any individual.
We work hard as individuals and as a team to improve our skills. We embrace challenges as an opportunity to learn and get even better.
How will we fulfil our purpose?
“To sustain a high standard of cricket in a joyful, inclusive environment“
Different teams, different roles – A shared purpose
The following selection policies have been agreed by Charlbury Cricket Committee as the key criteria when selecting teams for club teams playing in the Cherwell and Home Counties Leagues in 2021.
1st XI: The role of the 1st XI is to offer the highest level of competitive cricket possible for all Club Members.
2nd XI: The role of the 2nd XI is to provide a high standard of cricket which will enable the most promising juniors and good senior players to force their way into the 1st XI.
3rd XI: The 3rd XI will be a squad for the clubs younger promising juniors who are beginning their journey into open age cricket, with senior players acting as mentors to enable progression to the 2nd XI.
Women’s XI: The role of the Ladies 1st XI is to offer the highest level of competitive cricket possible for all lady members.
How are teams selected?
- The league selection committee will consist of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd team captains, ladies captain and the director of cricket.
- Representatives of the safeguarding, friendly, and youth sections of the club will have an open invite to each meeting where they wish to inform the committee of any developments or recommendations from their section.
- The league selection committee will meet once a week to discuss selection, with the teams posted no later than the Tuesday preceding the game.
- Cherwell league – Teams in the first instance, will be selected by the 1st, 2nd and 3rd team captains but in the case of any disagreement, the Chair of the Cricket Committee (acting as an impartial representative) will be asked to make the final decision.
- Women’s leagues – Teams in the first instance, will be selected by the 1st team captain and vice-captain but in the case of any disagreement, the Chair of the Cricket Committee (acting as an impartial representative) will be asked to make the final decision.
- If a player feels they are being unfairly treated, they are encouraged to speak to any member of the selection committee who will raise their concern at the following league selection meeting.
Every effort will be made to select a player that has not been selected in a league side, for the next available friendly fixture, assuming they have made themselves available for selection.
Principles of selection
The following principles of selection will be followed when selecting each team: –
- Members: Only fully paid-up members (subscriptions to be paid by the date of the first league match) of Charlbury Cricket Club will be considered for selection.
- Meritocratic: Players will be selected to play in the team that most reflects their ability to contribute to the game. This will be influenced by a) current performance, b) training performance and c) past performance.
- Specific roles: Players will be picked to perform a specific role in the team, which will be communicated by the captain with the objective to enhance the players contribution and engagement in the game. (Due to the unpredictable nature of cricket, this role could be subject to change depending on the game situation each Saturday).
- ‘Rule of three’: Whenever it is practical, players new to a team will be given at least three consecutive opportunities to perform in a given role before being moved to a different team or changing role.
- Communication: Each week, the appropriate captain will communicate with any players who have not been selected in their team, along with the reason why.
- A clear pathway: Whenever possible, players selected in the first team or second team in the previous week will automatically be entitled to a place at least in the team at the next level below for the following week.
- Encouraging youth: The third team will where possible, reserve a minimum of four places for youth players to develop through the team and will rotate selection if necessary.
- Occasional players: Club members with infrequent availability will be considered for selection (predicated on having paid a full membership as stipulated in 1 above), but will not be picked in place of any player who is a) successfully performing their role in a team or b) new to their role (see ‘point 4’ above)
- Availability form: Players are expected to complete the availability form at the beginning of each month, allowing the committee advance notice of their availability. For the avoidance of doubt, this overrides any other form of communication.
- Drop-outs: Any player that makes themselves available for selection then drops out during the week, unless with mitigating circumstances, will not be considered over other club members for the following week’s game.
- Inclusivity and Diversity: The current inclusivity and diversity policies of the club will be always followed, where applicable, to selection.
League Selection Committee 2021
|Paul Jenkins||Chair of Cricket
|email@example.com||07786 274 234|
|Tom Nash||1st XI Captainfirstname.lastname@example.org||07814 257 568|
|Simon Smith||2nd XI email@example.com||07765 153 348|
|Stuart Duff||3rd XI Captainfirstname.lastname@example.org||07748 116 531|
|Abi Flory||Ladies Captainemail@example.com||07977 882 797|
|Vicky Strode||Ladies Vice Captainfirstname.lastname@example.org||07733 426 799|
|Tom Eaton||Youth Chairemail@example.com||07826 520 452|
|Dave Rump||Friendly/ Social
|firstname.lastname@example.org||07712 825 752|
|Alex Westbury||Safeguarding Officeremail@example.com||07703 462 300|