Sat 1st June Charlbury vs Great Tew

Charlbury 235 (47.2 overs)

Tom Nash 34

Ben Geeson-Brown 32

Charlie Sinton 40


Great Tew 239-9 (47.5 overs)


Charlbury won the toss and on a warm day elected to bat first. Tom Nash and Ben Sinton opened the batting and got Charlbury off to a reasonable start. To start with the outfield was slow, although it speeded up as the day went on, and this slowness meant the batsmen had to run hard to get value for their shots. Several early threes were run off of the bat of Tom. Ben hit the first boundary of the game when he flicked one down the leg-side for four, before hitting another four in the next over. A change in the bowling was made after seven overs as one of the opening bowlers left the attack. Tom hit the new bowler for a pair of boundary fours as the score started to increase. After Eight overs Charlbury were 47-0. Next over Ben was wrapped on the pads and given out adjudged LBW. Ashley now strode to the crease. Ashley hit an early boundary thru the covers, but a couple of overs later he edged one and the wicket-keeper took the catch. Ben Geeson -Brown now entered the fray. Tom was looking good, stroking the ball around for ones and twos whilst also defending the good deliveries. Ben hit a couple of early boundaries to keep the score moving. The Tew bowlers had settled into good lines and lengths, but Charlbury were still able to pick up ones and twos on a good wicket. After 19 overs a double change in the bowling was made, with a new bowler coming on and the other opening bowler switching ends. The switch in ends worked immediately as Tom miss-hit one and was caught at gully meaning Ben Forrester had to come to the wicket. Geeson-Brown was looking good at the crease, pushing the ball around on both sides of the wicket for runs and finding the odd boundary as well. Forrester just contented himself with pushing a few early singles around to try and get himself in. After 25 overs Charlbury were 105-3 and drinks were taken. Forrester pulled a ball to the boundary for four, but missed the next delivery and was bowled. Richard now came to the crease. Then disaster struck as Ben played a shot at a ball that was a bit short and it flew straight up into the air for the wicket-keeper to take the catch. Charlie now came to the wicket. After 30 overs Charlbury were 130-5. A double change in the bowling was again made with two new bowlers entering the attack. Charlie hit a four off of one of the bowlers and then in his next over Richard smashed two deliveries to the boundary. The other bowler bowled a few wides, but in between those he also bowled some good deliveries. One of the bowlers was taken off and the first change bowler re-entered the attack. Charlbury now contented with pushing ones and twos around to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Richard went to pull one, missed it and was bowled meaning Bimalka had to come to the crease. Charlie was looking good as he stroked a couple of deliveries to the boundary for four. Bimalka pushed one bowler for three consecutive twos as the score continued to increase. Next over Bimalka played a straight drive, but got too much air on it and a diving catch saw him caught. Matt now entered the fray. A double change in the bowling was made as a new bowler entered the attack and the second change bowler returned. In his first over back Matt smashed one bowler back over his head for six, but then next ball he edged it and was caught by the wicket-keeper. Jake now entered the fray. Charlie now went after the new bowler hitting him for four, then smashing consecutive deliveries out of the ground for six to take Charlbury to 223-8 off of 44 overs. Another change in the bowling was made as the opening bowler returned for a third spell. Second ball and it kept a bit low, Charlie missed it and was bowled for a good 40. Abi now came to the crease. Jake and Abi scored a few runs before Abi was bowled and Charlbury were all out for 235.


Charlbury opened the bowling with Matt Doran and Ben Geeson-Brown. Ben quickly settled into a good line and length and caused some problems for the batsmen. Matt took a couple of overs to settle, but when he did he grabbed his first wicket. The batsman missed a straight one and was bowled. The new batsman came out and attacked from the off, finding several early boundary fours. After ten overs Tew had reached 44-1 and Charlbury made a change in the bowling as Matt left the attack and Bimalka entered it. Bimalka dropped into a good line and length from the off and the batsmen started to find runs hard to come by from his end. A couple of overs later Ben left the attack and Jake entered it. The number three batsman was still attacking hard and had found several boundaries and with the new ball being and Charlbury having to use an older ball Jake came out of the attack and Charlie entered it. The number three continued his assault and hit several sixes as the Tew score started to mount quickly, Charlbury would need him out if they were to make a game of it. After twenty overs Tew had reached 111-1 as Bimalka came out of the attack and Ashley entered it. Ashley got the breakthru when the number three tried to smash him for a six, but did not hit it well enough and Ben Sinton ran in from the boundary to take the catch. The batsmen continued to run hard and find the odd boundary to keep the pressure on the fielding side. Then Charlie got a wicket when the opening batsman tried to drive him, but skied the ball and Matt took a good catch. Bimalka now re-entered the attack in place of Ashley as Charlbury looked for more wickets. The new batsman hit out at Charlie, but he could only find Matt and Tew were four wickets down. Next over Bimalka clean bowled the new batsman to leave Tew 162-5 off of 29 overs. In his next over the new batsman lobbed the ball back at Bimalka and he took a diving catch, Charlbury were back in the game. Matt had by now replaced Charlie in the attack. Matt bowled a good spell with all the batsmen struggling to get him away. Bimalka finished his ten over spell and so Jake re-entered the attack. In his first over back Jake clean bowled one batsman to leave Tew 193-7. Next over things got even better for Charlbury as Matt clean bowled the new batsman. With Matt now finishing his spell Jake changed ends so Charlie came on for one over and then was replaced by Ben. The overs were ticking by and the batsmen were content to just push ones and twos to trickle their way to the line. Just as it looked like Tew had won the game one batsman dragged his back foot out of his ground and wicket-keeper Abi stumped him. A couple of overs later Tew won when with scores tied they hit a four.


Charlbury 12 points