Sat 4th Aug Charlbury vs Tiddington 2nd

Tiddington 2nd 160 (33.5 overs)

Bimalka Liyanarachchi 3-48

Charlie Sinton 6-52


Charlbury 162-5 (43.3 overs)

Tom Harris 45

Ben Sinton 44


Tiddington won the toss and on a warm day elected to bat first. Bimalka and Matt opened the bowling for Charlbury and got them off to a reasonable start. After bowling two overs and not seeing much turn in the wicket Bimalka came out of the attack and Jake entered it. Matt quickly dropped into a great line and length and with his extra height managed to cause a few problems with some extra bounce. Jake started well, getting some movement off of the pitch and made the batsmen play and miss. Matt grabbed the first wicket when one batsman miss-hit him to mid-off and Charlie gratefully took the catch. After eight overs Tiddington were 24-1. The new batsman now started to attack, playing several powerful straight drives which flew to the boundary for four. The score now started to rise quickly. The outfield was still quick due to all of the recent hot weather and most shots that beat the infield went to the boundary. The opening batsman then started to play a few more shots and with the score rising Charlbury decided to change the bowling around by bringing Charlie on in place of Matt. Charlie dropped into a reasonable length and line quickly and found a little bit of turn to give the batsmen something to think about. Bimalka then returned to the attack in place of Jake. At drinks, after 17 overs, Tiddington had raced onto 85-1 and Charlbury were now looking at chasing a big total if they did not start taking some wickets. Bimalka had dropped into a good line and length which made it hard for the batsmen to get the ball away for many runs. Then Charlbury grabbed a wicket. Bimalka tossed one up and the opening batsman tried to hit him for six, but could only find young Ben Sinton on the boundary who took a good catch. Next over things got even better as the ne batsman walked passed one of Charlie’s deliveries and Steve whipped the bails off to stump him, Charlbury were back in the game. The new batsman took it upon himself to try and hit Tiddington out of any trouble they might be in and hit a couple of big sixes. The hard hitting number three was still there and Charlbury would need him out if they were to keep the total down. After 23 overs Tiddington were 121-3. A couple of overs later Charlbury got their man. The hard hitting number three hit the ball back at Bimalka, low down to his right, Bimalka dived and took a great catch to get his second victim of the innings and his 300th first team wicket. Next over the batsman who had been hitting sixes tried to sweep Charlie, but got a top edge and the ball lobbed straight up in the air and Matt ran round from slip to take the catch. In the next over one batsman tried to smash out at Bimalka, but just hit the ball straight to Tom and he took a good catch leaving Tiddington 138-6 off of 27 overs. With only half the overs batted The two new batsman now tried to just play a few overs out so as not to lose any more quick wickets. Charlbury were fielding well, backing up their bowlers and giving nothing away. Then Charlbury had a big over. First ball one batsman tried to hit Charlie for six, but could only find Ben Forrester who ran in from the boundary and took a good catch. Two balls later the new batman had a wild swing at Charlie, but could only hit the ball to Jake and he took a good tumbling catch. 150-8 off of 30 overs and Tiddington were now in trouble. The batsman now just pushed a few singles around for a couple of overs, but then Charlie struck again. One batsman tried to hit the ball leg side, but only skied the ball and Josh took the catch and then two balls later the last player edged the ball and Steve took the catch to mean all eight of the catches taken were by a different player and Tiddington were all out for 160.


Charlbury now had to bat for an hour before tea and so Tom and Ajit opened the batting. Tom started well flicking the first ball of the inning for four before hitting another one at the end of the over. Next over Tom drilled another shot back passed the bowler for four as Charlbury got off to a good start. Next over Ajit could not get his gloves out of the way and when the ball glanced them and the keeper took the catch Ajit was out meaning Ben Sinton had to come to the crease. One bowler now settled into a good line and length and made run scoring more difficult. The other end started to concede some runs though as both players hit boundary fours. A change of bowling was made, but to no avail as Ben went on the attack, pulling and driving the ball to the boundary three times in one over. After nine overs Charlbury had raced onto 53-1 and another change in bowling was made as Tiddington desperately tried to get back in the game. The new bowler was a spinner and after being hit for four in his first over he settled down into a good line and length. Another change was made as another spinner entered the attack as Tiddington sought to slow things down. Charlbury went to tea after 16 overs at 71-1. At the resumption the spinners continued. Ben was batting well, always on the lookout for the quick single, but also pouncing on anything loose and hitting it away for four. Tom too was looking good as he defended the good deliveries and looked to push ones and twos around. Both batsmen were running hard for every run, trying to keep the pressure on the fielding side. Another change in the bowling was made and this had an immediate impact. Second ball and Ben played at a wide one, got and edge and the keeper took the catch and Ben was out for a great 44. Ben Forrester now came to the wicket. Tom continued to bat on, pulling another delivery to the boundary for four to take Charlbury over the hundred mark. Then disaster struck as Tom miss-hit one and was caught for a good 45 leaving Charlbury 107-3 off of 26 overs. Bimalka now entered the fray. Both batsmen now just pushed the ball around for a few singles just to get themselves in. Charlbury were in no danger with the required rate as they had over sixty overs in their innings in which to get the runs. Bimalka hit a four and then Ben did likewise as Charlbury edged closer and closer to victory. Then Bimalka was wrapped on the pads and given out adjudged LBW. Charlie now came to the crease. Ben hammered two deliveries in one over to the boundary for four. Another change in the bowling was made as Tiddington desperately sought more wickets. The opening bowler returned, but only for a couple of overs and then he was replaced by a new bowler. Then when he was on 28 Ben had to retire hurt. Captain, Josh now joined Charlie at the crease. Another new bowler entered the attack and Josh quickly got off the mark by hammering him thru the off-side for four. Next over disaster struck when Charlie was wrapped on the pads and given out adjudged LBW meaning Marcus came to the wicket. 150-5 off of 41 overs, Charlbury were edging closer to victory. A few singles were pushed and then Josh hit a four. Next ball went for four byes and Charlbury had won by five wickets.


A great win by the lads started by some great bowling from Charlie and Bimalka and then followed up by some great batting from Tom and Ben – well played lads.


Charlbury 25 points