Sat 28th July Charlbury vs Thame 2nd

Charlbury 161 (47.3 overs)


Thame 2nd 162-4 (31.3 overs)

Stuart Atkins 3-46


Charlbury won the toss and elected to bat first. The two Toms, Nash and Harris, opened the batting for Charlbury. In the first over Tom Nash edged a couple of deliveries and both shot to the boundary for four. The outfield was quick despite a shower before the game so good fielding was going to be the order of the day if scores were to be kept down. The bowlers quickly settled into a good line and length and both batsmen found scoring more difficult. Tom Nash then missed one and was bowled leaving Charlbury 14-1 off of seven overs. Ajit now came to the crease. Tom Harris was batting well, keeping the many good deliveries out whilst trying to get his eye in. Tom then flicked one of off his pads and the ball raced away for four. A couple of overs later things got even better for Charlbury as both batsmen hit the ball for four. Ajit was looking his usual self, defending when necessary, but also looking to score off of anything he felt was even slightly loose. A change in the bowling was then made as one of the opening bowlers made way for a slow bowler. After 16 overs Charlbury had reached 37-1. Thame were bowling and fielding well and both batsmen were struggling to get the ball away for many runs. Ajit attacked the new bowler and hit him to the boundary for four. A couple of overs later the other opening bowler left the attack and another slow bowler entered it. The new bowler made an immediate impact as he wrapped Ajit on the pads and he was given out adjudged LBW. Ben now came to the crease. Tom then attacked one of the bowlers hitting him for a couple of boundary fours and trying to put the pressure back onto the bowling side. Then just as the over was ending Tom was wrapped on the pads and given out adjudged LBW leaving Charlbury 72-3 off of 23 overs as Stuart came to the wicket. Stuart was quickly off of the mark with a two, but was not there too long as a couple of overs later he missed one and was bowled. Charlie now joined his son at the crease. Both batsmen now took a few overs just to try and get their eye in, but also to make sure no more quick wickets fell. Ben stroked one delivery thru the leg side for four to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Ben was looking good at the crease, defending the good deliveries, but still trying to pick up singles when they were on offer. Then disaster struck as Ben edged one and the wicket-keeper took the catch. Graham now entered the fray. Charlie was looking in no trouble at the wicket, but he too was struggling to score many runs. Both batsmen looked to now try and push on for a few runs as the overs were starting to run out  and there were some grey clouds in the sky. Graham tried to hit out at one, but miss-hit the ball and it flew high into the air and mid-on took the catch. Captain, Josh, now joined Charlie at the crease. Charlie then drilled one, low to the ground, but a fielder dived forward and took a great catch and Charlbury were 100-7. Matt now joined his captain at the crease. Josh hammered a couple of boundary fours as the rain started to fall. The over was finished and the players left the ground as heavier rain fell. After a short break and no overs lost the game resumed with Charlbury 113-7 off of 37 overs. Josh was looking comfortable as he pushed the ball around for a few singles. Matt did not look in much trouble as he pushed the ball around and powerfully hammered a boundary four. Then disaster struck as first Matt was caught by a low down catch and then next over Josh flicked one off of his pads only to see the ball carry to a leg-side fielder who took the catch. 123-9 off of 41 overs and Barry and Jake at the wicket, Charlbury had to try and bat as many overs as they could to try and set a total. Barry went on the attack and hit several deliveries powerfully to the boundary and all straight back passed the bowler. Jake pushed a couple of singles around before he too smashed one back over the bowler’s head and to the boundary for four. The 150 mark was reached and Barry continued to attack. A powerful hit saw the fielder get under the ball, but it burst thru his hands and flew over the boundary for four. Soon afterwards Barry was caught for 29 as he went for another bit hit and Charlbury were all out for 161.


Charlbury were going to have to bowl well if they were going to come close to defending their total. Barry and Stuart opened the bowling. The batsmen attacked from the off and with the boundary still being lightning quick the boundaries started to come. After five overs Thame had reached 40-0 and Charlbury were going to need to start taking wickets if they were to get back in the game. Then Stuart got Charlbury back in the game when he clean bowled one batsman. Barry left the attack and Matt entered it. Matt dropped straight into a great line and length and started to make run scoring more difficult. Stuart was now in the middle of a great spell and in his next over he found the edge of the bat and the new batsman was caught by wicket-keeper Graham. First ball of his next over and Stuart clean bowled the next batsman as suddenly Thame were 44-3 off of ten overs. Stuart was bowling a great spell, using his pace and height to get some bounce, but also getting some movement out of the pitch. Matt too was bowling a great spell, getting the ball to zip around off of the wicket. Charlbury were also fielding really well, diving and stopping many deliveries. Then just as it was looking interesting the rain came and the players left the pitch for an extended time. On their return Thame had been reduced to 40 overs. Matt now came out of the attack and Charlie entered it as Charlbury sought more wickets to keep the pressure on. The batsmen had now started to play a few more shots and run a bit harder to try and get their scoring rate back on track. Stuart left the attack and Tom Harris came on for an over to try and speed the over rate up a bit. Thame were now running hard for every single run in case more rain came and the game was abandoned. Tom only bowled one over and then Stuart re-entered the attack. Charlie was getting no turn and so Jake entered the attack to see if he could get something out of the wicket. The ball had by now got wet and was difficult to bowl with and although this had slowed the outfield down a lot it was still hard for the fielding side. With more black clouds threatening the batsmen really went for it and found several more boundaries. Then the rain came and again the players left the field. On their return Thame were reduced to 33 overs and the score was 115-3 off 26 overs. Stuart had now finished his allotted overs and so Matt replaced him in the attack. Thame are second in the table and fighting for promotion and so needing the win they really went for it with the bat, running for nearly everything, pushing and running as well as hitting the ball around. Jake left the attack and Barry entered it. Not many runs needed, but then Barry bowled one batsmen. Next over the game was over as a hard run three saw Thame to victory by six wickets.


Charlbury 7 points