Sat 19th May Charlbury vs Witney Mills

Charlbury 131 (38.3 overs)

Bimalka Liyanarachchi 36


Witney Mills 132-5 (33.2 overs)


Charlbury won the toss and on a hot day decided to bat first. Tom Nash and Graham opened the batting. Tom got the scoreboard moving when he smashed a delivery in the first over to the boundary for four. Slowly the bowlers started to find a better length and line and both the batsmen started runs harder to come by. Then disaster struck as Tom edged one and was caught in the slips. Ajit now came to the crease, but was not there too long as he was wrapped on the pads and given out adjudged LBW. Bimalka now joined Graham at the crease. Graham was batting well, defending the many good deliveries, but always looking for the single. Graham then hit out hitting a four in one over and then in the next he opened it with back to back boundary fours. After 9 overs Charlbury had reached 34-2. Bimalka was batting well, running hard for every run, but still playing defensively when needed. Bimalka then got in on the act as he hit a delivery to the boundary. It looked like Charlbury might have weathered the early storm, but then Graham hit out at one and the ball just lobbed up on the off-side and he was caught. Stuart now came to the crease. Bimalka was starting to look in good form as he crashed another couple of fours to keep the score moving. Stuart missed one and was bowled leaving Charlbury 54-4 off 15 overs. Marcus now joined Bimalka at the wicket. Marcus started quickly, cutting one delivery to the boundary for four. The opening bowlers seemed to be tiring a bit and this led to few wides being bowled which helped the score along. After twenty overs a double change in the bowling was made. Marcus was batting well, constantly looking for the single or two to keep the score moving along. Bimalka was also batting well, pushing ones and twos wherever he could. The first over from each of the new bowlers saw several more wides bowled. After two overs the spinner left the attack and another slow bowler entered it, this would be a pivotal moment. In the first over of the new bowler he wrapped Marcus on the pads and he was given out adjudged LBW for a fine 22. Josh now came to the wicket. The other bowler had now settled into a good line and length and was starting to make runs hard to come by. In the new bowler’s second over Bimalka smashed a loose delivery wide of the bowler, but he stuck his hands out and took a good catch and Bimlka was out for a good 36. Barry now joined Josh at the crease with Charlbury 107-6 off 28 overs. Lots of overs to bat and Charlbury had to try and use them all up if they were to set a defendable total. Frustration got the better of Barry and he had a swing at one, missed it and was bowled. Josh was looking comfortable as he pushed a few singles and twos around, but also defended the many good deliveries. Dean had now joined his captain at the crease, but not for long as he hit the ball straight back to the bowler and was caught. Jake now entered the fray. Charlbury were now struggling to get the ball away for runs as the Mills bowlers started to strangle the life out of the innings. Joh edged one and was caught by the wicket-keeper meaning that last man Martyn had to come to the wicket. Jake, with nothing to lose, now started to hit out and he found a couple of boundary fours. Then disaster struck as a mix-up in the calling saw Jake just short of his ground and run out leaving Charlbury 131 all out.


Charlbury were going to have to bowl really well if they were to win the game. Jake and Stuart opened the bowling. Both bowlers quickly dropped into good lines and lengths and caused a few problems. Stuart was straight into a good length and line and with a bit of bounce was making the batsmen play and miss a lot. Jake too was bowling a good spell, getting the ball to move around a bit. After seven overs Mills had reached 21-0 and Charlbury were becoming desperate to get the breakthru wicket. Finally it came when one batsman tried to flick Jake on the leg-side, but could only hit the ball straight to Ajit who gratefully took the catch. Next over things got even better for Charlbury when Stuart wrapped the other opening batsmen on the pads and he was given out adjudged LBW. Jake now came out of the attack and Dean entered it. The new batsmen took a liking to Dean and attacked him from the off and found several boundary fours. The score suddenly rushed along and it looked liked Mills were in a hurry to win and so a double change in the bowling was made. Bimalka and Josh now entered the attack. in his first over Josh got the breakthru when one batsman tried to hit out, but could only find Graham, who had run a few paces and stuck out a hand and took a great catch. 80-3 off 18 overs and Charlbury were still in with a chance if they could keep taking wickets. Bimalka settled into his usual good line and length, giving very little away. Josh too was bowling a great spell, getting the ball to nip around a bit while bowling a good line and length. The runs were still coming, but just at a slower pace, but Charlbury needed wickets if they were to stand any chance in this game. After 25 overs Mills had reached 107-3 and the game seemed to be going away from Charlbury. Bimalka left the attack and Stuart re-entered it. Then a couple of overs later Charlbury got back into the game. One batsman tried to hit out at Josh, but could only hit it straight to Dean who took a fine catch. Next over and Stuart bowled the other batsman meaning Mills had two brand new batsmen at the crease. The batsmen just looked to push the odd single around as they got closer and closer to victory. A change in the bowling was made as Marcus came on for Josh. Stuart had now finished his great ten over spell and with the scores tied Charlbury gave Tom Nash a bowl. It took a couple of deliveries to get the winning run, but eventually Witney Mills won by 5 wickets.


Charlbury 7 points