Sat 12th May Charlbury vs Shipton-Under-Wychwood 2nd

Shipton-Under-Wychwood 2nd 209 (47.3 overs)

Stuart Atkins 4-44


Charlbury 210-2 (41.4 overs)

Tom Nash 63 not out

Ben Forrester 60 not out


Charlbury won the toss and elected to bowl first. Jake and Stuart opened the bowling, but it was Shipton who got off to the better start. The Shipton batsmen looked to attack the ball from the off and found a few early boundaries, while also pushing hard for quick singles. The runs started to come quite quickly as the batsmen looked to take every available single. Jake had now settled into a good line and length and was now stopping the batsmen score so frequently from one end. After 7 overs Shipton had reached 43-0 and Charlbury were going to need to start taking wickets if they were to keep the scoring rate down. Next over Stuart clean bowled one batsman. Shipton were still looking for every run, turning ones into twos wherever possible. Stuart left the attack and Barry entered it. A great change in the bowling as in his second over the other opening batsmen mis-hit one and the ball flew to Dean at mid-off and the catch was taken. The batsmen continued to attack and were still finding the boundary too regularly for Charlbury’s liking. Jake came out of the attack and Bimalka entered it as Charlbury sought to keep the runs down. After 17 overs Shipton had reached 84-2. Bimalka quickly settled into a good line and length and started to cause some problems for the batsmen. Barry too was bowling a good spell, getting the ball to move around a bit. Both batsmen were running hard and finding several twos and so another change in the bowling was made as Barry left the attack and Dean entered it. Dean was straight on the mark from the off, getting the ball to turn and helping slow the scoring rate down. After 25 overs Shipton had reached 124-2 and now Charlbury were getting desperate for wickets to try and keep the final score down. Finally the wicket came when Bimalka found a thin edge and Steve took the catch behind the stumps. Things got even better for Charlbury in Bimalka’s next over when he wrapped the new batsmen on the pads and he was given out adjudged LBW. Charlbury were now back in the game and so Bimalka came out of the attack and Marcus entered it. It took Marcus aa couple of overs to get his line and length right, but when he did the batsmen started to find things difficult from both ends. Dean was still bowling a great spell with no luck. The new batsmen attacked the ball hard and found several boundaries as Shipton started to once again take control of the game. After 35 overs Shipton had reached 164-4 and were looking to set a huge total, Charlbury were going to need wickets if they were to stop this from happening. Dean finished his great ten over spell and so Stuart re-entered the attack. In his first over Back Stuart grabbed the breakthrough wicket when one batsmen tried to flick a ball off his legs for six, but could only find Jake stood on the boundary and he took a great catch. Next over Marcus got in on the wickets when Dean took a good catch off of his bowling and the set batsman was out. Two new batsmen at the crease going into the final ten overs. Next over Stuart grabbed his third wicket when he clean bowled one batsman. Then things really swung Charlbury’s way when Marcus found the edge and Steve took the catch leaving Shipton 196-8 off 45 overs. The batsmen now dug in and tried to bat out the final few overs. Marcus left the attack and Bimalka re-entered it. One batsman then tried to take a quick single, but quick as a flash Steve was onto it, he fielded the ball and thru the stumps down to run the batsman out. Next ball Stuart grabbed his fourth victim when he clean bowled the last batsman and Shipton were all out for 209.


Charlbury would have to bat well if they were to win the game and so Tom Nash and Graham opened the batting and got Charlbury off to a great start. The opening over went badly for Shipton as the bowler bowled a couple of no-balls along with a wide. Graham took full advantage and launched one of his legitimate deliveries over the boundary for six and then finished the over off with a boundary four. More runs in the next over, including another boundary four to Graham saw the Charlbury score race along. Then disaster struck as in the third over Graham tried to hit another delivery, missed it and was bowled. Bimalka now entered the fray. Tom was batting in his usual way, keeping out the good deliveries while looking for singles and twos whenever he could. After eight overs Charlbury had reached 40-1 and were in a good position. The Shipton bowlers had by now settled into a good line and length and runs were slightly harder to come by. Bimalka was looking good at the wicket as stroked a couple of early fours. Shipton now changed the bowling around from one end. Tom played a late cut to find his first boundary of the innings and to keep the score moving along. A second change in the bowling was then made as the other opening bowler left the attack. Both batsmen were content to just work the ball around and look for singles and twos and both batsmen ran hard for every run. After 20 overs Charlbury had reached 86-1 and now they began to push on a bit harder. Bimalka took the lead, playing a few more shots and finding a couple of boundaries. light rain started to fall and so the umpires called for the Duckworth-Lewis to be put up on the scoreboard. Another change in the bowling was made as the first change bowler left the attack and a new bowler entered it. Then disaster struck as Bimalka continued to attack, but hit the ball straight to a close fielder who took a good catch and Bimalka was out for a fine 37. Ben now entered the fray with a runner as he had hurt his leg while fielding. Tom was still batting really well, just looking for the single at every opportunity. The scoring slowed a bit now as Ben just tried to get himself in before playing any shots. Charlbury were well ahead on the Duckworth-Lewis, but could not afford to lose wickets as this would change things around. After 30 overs Charlbury had reached 117-2 and were now looking in control of the game. Ben was now playing a few shots and found a couple of boundary fours. Tom was still batting really well, not giving any chances and pushing runs around on both sides of the wicket. The running was hard as Charlbury sought to get every run available. A change in the bowling was made as another new bowler entered the attack. The new bowler did not quite get his line right and this enabled the batsmen to work him away for several runs. Next over Tom cut one to the boundary and brought up a well deserved maiden fifty for the first team. A double change in the bowling was then made as Shipton desperately searched for the breakthrough wicket that might give them a chance. After 39 overs Charlbury had raced onto 182-2 and were within touching distance of victory. Ben then hit two fours in three balls to bring up his second fifty of the season. Ben was now in full flow, stroking the ball around for ones and twos and also finding a few boundaries. Tom was by now opening up a bit more and throwing the bat around as the score started to mount quickly. In the last few overs the runs came quickly and eventually Charlbury won by eight wickets and with eight overs to spare.


A great win for the lads built on great spells from the spinners and then Stuart to come along and mop the tail up and then with the bat Tom and Ben played fantastically well so sow up victory – well played lads.


Charlbury 25 points