Sat 8th July Charlbury 2nd vs East & West Hendred 2nd

Charlbury 2nd 316-5 (45 overs)

Charlie Sinton 98

Tim Jarvis 54

Andy Glass 66 not out

Ayan Chakravartty 66


East & West Hendred 2nd 202-9 (45 overs)


On a very hot day Charlbury hosted East & West Hendred and batted first. Charlie and Tim batted first and got Charlbury off to a great start. Both batsmen looked in top form from the off, stroking the ball around on both sides of the wicket. The outfield was quick and this meant that if the ball broke thru the infield it almost certainly went to the boundary for four. Tim started off well, playing the more defensive role and just looking to push singles to rotate the strike, but punishing anything loose. Charlie played a more attacking role, trying not to let the bowlers settle. The runs came at a good rate as both players ran well. As it was hot Hendred decided to change their bowling around early on, bringing on two new bowlers. Neither batsmen would let the new bowlers settle, pushing twos and hammering the odd boundary for four. The score was mounting quickly and Hendred were going to need to start taking wickets if they were to get into the game. Charlie was batting really well, hitting the ball to all parts of the ground  and with some hard running turning ones into twos. Tim too was batting really well, defending when necessary, but scoring runs whenever they were on offer. The hundred mark was reached in the eighteenth over and without loss of wicket, Charlbury were looking at setting an enormous total. The bowling was being changed around as Hendred desperately searched for the breakthrough wicket. Another single from Charlie saw him reach a well deserved half century. The bowlers were dropping into good lines and lengths and causing some problems, but whenever they bowled a loose ball both batsmen sprang on it and hammered it away for runs. The overs were ticking by and Charlbury were in total control as both batsmen continued to score freely. Tim pushed another single and that took him to a well deserved fifty and the partnership passed 150. Then disaster struck as Tim tried to hit out at one, but was caught for a well made 54. Andy now entered the fray. The overs were now beginning to run out and so Charlbury would have to push on hard if they were to set the total there start merited. Andy started slowly at first, just trying to get himself in before he started to hit out. Charlie continued on his merry way, hitting the ball to all parts and finding a couple of big sixes along the way. Hendred were still changing things round, desperately trying to slow the scoring down and take more wickets. Then disaster struck as Charlie, nearing his hundred, hit out at one, but hit the ball straight to a fielder who took a good catch. Ayan now entered the fray. Andy was now starting to get going, pushing several singles and a couple of boundary fours. Ayan only knows one way to bat and that is to attack and he preceded to hit the ball to all parts of the ground, including one massive six. The score was going up very quickly now and Hendred were struggling to contain the runs. The 200 mark had been passed and now Charlbury were looking to go big. The overs were now running out fast, but Ayan was making sure Charlbury got full value for every delivery as he crashed the ball around. Andy was just content to give Ayan the strike and was constantly looking for the quick single. Ayan hit another boundary and reached a great fifty. A couple of overs later the fun was over for Ayan as he went for another big hit, but got caught and he was out for 66. Richard now entered the fray, but got the ball of the day and was caught early on. Martin now joined Andy at the crease for the last couple of overs. Andy hit a boundary and he too reached a well deserved fifty. Martin went for a big hit, but was caught on the boundary. Adam now joined Andy for the last few deliveries. Charlbury eventually finished their innings on a massive 316-5.


On a good batting pitch Charlbury were going to have to bowl well if they were to get all of the Hendred batsmen out. Carla and Ellie opened the bowling and got them off to a good start. Both bowlers quickly dropped into a good line and length and with some good fielding backing them up the Hendred batsmen found it hard to score runs. The scoring was slow early on as Charlbury stopped many deliveries before they could break thru the infield, but some did and they flew to the boundary. Ellie grabbed the first wicket when one batsman hit the ball into the air a catch was taken. A few overs later a double change in the bowling was made so Ayan and Paul entered the attack. Both bowlers dropped straight on the money from the off and kept the pressure up on the batting side. One batsman edged an early delivery from Paul and the catch was taken meaning Hendred were two wickets down. The required rate was rising quickly and Hendred would have to take some risks if they were to even come close to victory. Then one batsman miss-hit the ball and it flew straight back at Ayan who took a good catch. Charlbury were in total control of the game and although the batsmen were scoring some runs they were going to have to push on much harder to get something out of this game. Paul was bowling a great spell, putting every delivery on a great line and length and making the batsmen play at everything. The new batsman began playing a few more shots and found a couple of boundaries to get the Hendred score moving along. Ayan then bowled one batsman. A change in the bowling was made as Andy entered the attack in place of Ayan. With four wickets already down and the required rate rising fast the batsmen decided to try attacking hard and they managed to find a few boundaries. The two new batsmen were now taking the attack to Charlbury, running quick singles and finding a few boundaries. Paul came out of the attack and Carla entered it as Charlbury sought to break this partnership. The hundred mark had been passed and although Hendred were probably not going to win the game at this point there were still plenty of bonus points for them to pick up. Finally Andy got a wicket when he clean bowled one batsman. The new batsman started up where the previous one left off and attacked from the off. The overs were now starting to run out so Andy came out of the attack and Charlie entered it. Charlie quickly dropped into a good line and length, but both the batsmen were quick to pounce on anything even slightly loose. Carla now left the attack and Tim entered it. The overs were running out fast, but then Charlie grabbed a wicket. The batsman tried to hit out at Charlie, but was caught going for a big shot and Charlbury were back in control. In his next over Charlie got the new batsman caught and it looked like Charlbury might bowl Hendred out. Tim then got in on the wickets as one of the hard hitting batsman miss-hit the ball and was caught. With not many overs left Charlie took himself out of the attack and brought back Ellie. This was an inspired decision as Ellie was quickly among the wickets having one batsman caught. Not many overs left and the batsmen decided to just bat the overs out after reaching the 200 mark, eventually finishing on 202-9.


A great win for the seconds built on a big opening partnership and a top four that all reached fifty, then an all round bowling display saw Charlbury home – well played lads and lasses.


Charlbury 2nd 29 points