Sat 13th May Charlbury vs Great Horwood

Charlbury 115 (37.5 overs)

Stuart Atkins 31


Great Horwood 65 (20.1 overs)

Jake Godfrey 5-42

Ian Johnston 3-21


Charlbury won the toss and elected to bat first. The pitch was slightly damp from some rain that fell on Thursday, but this did not stop Charlbury from wanting to bat first. Tom Nash and Graham opened the batting. Tom was quickly off the mark smashing the first ball he faced thru the covers and to the boundary for four. In the next over Graham pulled a leg side delivery over the square boundary for four as Charlbury seemed to get off to a good start. Disaster struck in the 3rd over. First one popped on Graham and all he could do was lob the ball back to the bowler for a catch. Next ball Ben did the same thing and Charlbury were two wickets down. Steve now entered the fray. The Horwood bowlers had now settled into a good length and line and now run scoring was becoming difficult. A couple of singles were pushed around as both batsmen tried to rotate the strike, but then Steve missed one that cut back in and he as bowled. Josh now came to the crease. Tom was batting really well, pushing the ball around for singles and playing defensively against the many good deliveries bowled. Tom then played a lovely straight drive for four and then followed it up next over by upper cutting a delivery square for another boundary. After 11 overs Charlbury had struggled to 29-3. Horwood were fielding well, backing their bowlers up and both batsmen were finding it hard to score more than the odd single. Josh missed one and was bowled  meaning Stuart had to come to the crease. In the 17th over Horwood’s wicket-keeper did not take a delivery cleanly and dislocated his finger and had to go of to hospital meaning they were short of fielders. Charlbury now had to try and take advantage of this. A couple of maidens were bowled as Charlbury reached 35-4 off 18 overs. A change in bowling was made at one end and Stuart took an instant liking to the new bowler hammering his first two deliveries to the boundary for four. An overthrow in the next over let Tom receive a five as Charlbury started to try and push the score along a bit. Stuart was batting confidently, pushing the ball around and running hard to turn ones into twos. Then disaster struck as Tom edged one to the stand-in keeper and was caught for a hard fought 29. Ian now came to the wicket. Stuart clubbed another boundary to keep things moving along. One bowler now finished his allotted twelve over spell and so a spinner entered the attack. In his first over Stuart miss-hit one straight back to the bowler and was caught for a fine 31. Dean now joined Ian at the crease. Both batsmen were running hard for everything and after Ian hit a three, Dean joined in the fun smashing the ball for four. It was still tough batting and the ball was still moving around. Ian crashed a delivery to the boundary, but next ball edged one to the keeper and was caught leaving Charlbury 95-7 off 31 overs. Jake now came to the crease, but was not there long as he missed one from the spinner and was bowled. Ayam now joined Dean at the wicket. With the overs and wickets both running out Dean decided to hit out a bit more and try and push Charlbury to a defendable score. The running was hard from both players a couple of twos were scored. Ayam hooked a delivery to the boundary for four. Dean then missed one and was bowled for a well made 19 meaning Martyn had to come to the wicket. Martyn was not there too long as the spinner bowled him and Charlbury were all out for 115.


Charlbury were going to have to bowl and field exceptionally well if they were to stand a chance of defending their score. Jake and Ian opened the bowling for Charlbury. Second ball of the game and Jake bowled one of the batsmen. The Horwood batsmen now took a couple of overs just to try and see off the new ball. A six was hit and the ball lost, a spare was used for a couple of deliveries before the ball was found. A tough catch was dropped and Charlbury thought that might have blown their chance, but next over Ian induced an edge from the other batsman and Josh took the catch in the slips. Next over the batsman who had been dropped in Jake’s last over didn’t get another reprieve when he edged the ball again as Ben stuck out a hand in the slips and took a fantastic catch. The eighth over was a big one for Charlbury as first ball Ian bowled an outstanding delivery to bowl the Horwood big hitter before he got going and then last ball of the over he found the edge and the new batsman was caught by Steve behind the stumps. Horwood were now 24-5 off only eight overs and Charlbury were right back in the game and with the wicket-keeper not back from hospital only four more wickets were required. Jake was bowling a fantastic spell, getting the ball to zip around and causing all sorts of problems for the batsmen. Ian too was bowling a fantastic spell, getting bounce and swing meaning all the batsmen were struggling to even lay a bat on him. The batsmen played out a couple of overs as they tried to rebuild their shattered innings. One batsman played defensively at the ball, but just hit it to close fielder Ian and he gratefully took the catch meaning Horwood had lost their sixth wicket. The batsmen now tried to fight fire with fire and started to try and attack the ball harder, finding a couple of boundaries to push the score along. Some hard running also brought up a few singles and twos as Horwood started to get back into the game. Jake as in the form of his life and bowled a snorter which clean bowled one batsmen leaving Horwood 41-7 off fifteen overs. Charlbury were pretty much in control, but the batsmen continued to play attacking shots at nearly every delivery. In the end one batsman missed one from Jake and he grabbed his fifth wicket by bowling the batsman. The last two at the crease and still more than sixty runs needed for victory. The last batsman defended resolutely while allowing the other batsman to attack hard. Three boundaries in one over suddenly saw the Horwood score leap forward to 63-8 off 19 overs. Ian bowled a great over to keep the score down in the next over. First ball of the 21st over and it as all over. The batsmen ran a single, but wanted to turn it into a two and so went for the second, Ayam quickly threw the ball to Steve who whipped off the bails and Great Horwood were all out for 65 as Charlbury completed a remarkable victory.


A great win for the lads as Tom, Stuart and Dean batted well to set up a score and the then Jake and Ian ripped thru the Horwood innings to set Charlbury on their way to victory – well played lads.


Charlbury 27 points