Sat 6th May Charlbury 2nd vs East & West Hendred 2nd

Charlbury 2nd 206 (44.2 overs)

Neil Fox 54


East & West Hendred 193 (42.1 overs)

Garry Masters 3-23

Max Lucas 3-56

Paul Jenkins 3-47


Charlbury travelled to East Hendred for their division six fixture. Charlbury batted first and so Neil and Garry opened the batting. Both batsmen quickly settled in at the wicket and with a fast outfield the runs started to come quickly. Neil started off confidently, stroking the ball around on both sides of the wicket and found a couple of early boundaries. Garry too looked confident as he pushed the ball around, looking to pick up a few singles to rotate the strike. The Hendred bowlers took a few overs to settle into as good line and length and while they were doing this both batsmen took full advantage, punishing anything loose. The runs were coming at a good rate and with the fielding restrictions meaning only two fielders could be in the deep twos were being run. Neil was looking in top form as he stroked the ball around and with a couple of lusty blows he found a couple more boundaries. Charlbury were flying along and so after ten overs Hendred decided to change the bowling round from one end to try and stem the flow of runs. With the run rate going along at around six an over Garry decided to try and hit out at the new bowler, but missed one and was bowled for a well hit 21. Nick Powell now entered the fray. Neil was still carrying on his merry way and a quick run single saw him reach a well deserved 50. Nick hammered a ball to the boundary for four, but in trying to repeat the feat he was caught and Charlbury had lost their second wicket. The captain, Charlie, now joined Neil at the crease. Neil had been hitting the ball to all parts of the ground, but one shot too many meant he was caught for a great 54. Jon Florey now joined his captain at the crease. Both batsmen now spent a couple of overs just to try and get their eye in. Jon did not manage this and was bowled meaning Rob had to come to the wicket. Charlie hit a couple of boundaries to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Rob also joined in the fun by smashing a couple of balls to the boundary. Then disaster struck as Charlie missed one and was bowled. Ayan now entered the fray. The hundred mark had been passed and Charlbury were still pushing hard for runs. Both batsmen like to play attacking cricket and this is what they did, hitting another boundary or two to keep things moving. A change in the bowling was made as the opening bowler now left the attack and a new bowler entered it. Rob continued to frustrate the Hendred bowlers by attacking hard anything loose and then playing a solid defensive shot to anything on the stumps. Eventually Rob played one shot too many and was caught meaning Robert Jenkins came to the crease. Robert hung around for a while, but then he edged one and was caught. Martyn now came to the wicket. Ayan was still playing his shots and with the over running out he began to attack harder. Martyn began playing a few shots and he found a couple of boundaries as the score edged closer to 200. Ayan was caught going for a big shot meaning Max now came to the crease. Martyn was batting well and running hard for everything and with Max backing him up Charlbury were doing well. Max missed one and was bowled and so Paul entered the fray for the last few overs. A couple more boundaries were hit as the 200 mark was reached, but with only a few balls remaining Martyn was bowled and Charlbury were all out for 206.


Charlbury were going to have to bowl well if they were going to contain the Hendred batsmen. Max and Garry opened the bowling. The batsmen got into their stride quicker than the Charlbury bowlers and so they set off at a good rate. Max managed to grab the first wicket when he clean bowled one batsman, but the other opener started to attack hard and found a few early boundaries. A change in the bowling was made as Paul came on for Garry. The new batsman also attacked hard as Hendred looked to capitalise on the fielding restrictions. Paul managed to drop into a great line and length straight away and this managed to slow the scoring down from one end. Max came out of the attack and Charlie entered it. Charlbury now seemed to get some measure of control as they kept the runs down, But Hendred had got off to a quick start and were ahead of the required rate. Charlie quickly found a good line and length and managed to find some turn and bounce. Paul was bowling his usual immaculate line and length which made run scoring hard, but with the start Hendred had got wickets were what was needed. Paul then got in on the action as he wrapped a batsman on the pads and he was given out LBW. In his next over Paul had the new batsman caught and Hendred were three wickets down. Charlie was bowling a good spell, but with no reward as Charlbury started to get back in the game. The batsmen were now content to just push the ball around for ones and twos to keep the scoreboard ticking over. The overs were ticking by and no wickets fell, but the score kept on rising. Then Charlbury got back in the game as Paul grabbed his third wicket of the game when he wrapped a batsman on the pads and won an LBW decision. The new batsman went on the offensive and hit a couple of early boundaries to put Charlbury on the back foot again. Paul had now finished his allotted twelve over spell and so Ayan replaced him. Ayan quickly dropped into a good line and length, but the batsmen were now starting to hit out a bit more as the overs now started to run out. Charlie now took himself out of the attack and brought Max back into it. Max now dropped straight into a great length and line and got Charlbury back in the game quickly when he clean bowled the number three batsman. In the next over Ayan bowled the new batsman and Charlbury were now starting to take control, although Hendred were still closing in on victory. Max was causing some problems for the batsmen as Hendred edged closer and closer to victory. Garry then replaced Ayan in the attack and made an immediate impact, having a catch taken in his first over. Max then clean bowled the new batsman and Charlbury were within touching distance of victory. A couple of lofty blows soon changed that idea as Hendred made a surge for victory. Garry then grabbed one batsman by clean bowling him meaning Hendred had their last two batsmen at the crease. In Garry’s next over the game was won as he wrapped a batsman on the pads, appealed for LBW and the decision was given as out meaning Hendred were all out for 193.


A great win for the seconds set up by some great batting from Neil and then an all round great bowling display sealed victory – well played lads.


Charlbury 2nd 30 points